How to Inspect Element on iPhone?
Inspect Element is a powerful tool used by developers to inspect and modify web pages. You can view the source code of a web page and change its layout and content. This tool is primarily used by developers, but anyone can use it to get a better understanding of how a website works and runs. You might be a curious person and also want to try this out on your Apple device.
However, to inspect element on iPhone isn’t as easy as on your desktop computer. The process might be a little tricky but it is definitely not impossible to do so. So, if you are an iPhone user and want to know how to inspect element on your IOS mobile device, then you have come to the right place.
In this article we will be looking at steps that you can take to inspect items on iPhone, including using third-party apps and Safari’s built-in developer tools.
To inspect element on iPhone there are mainly two methods. You can either connect your MacBook to your iPhone or use the Safari Web Inspector tool. Or you can choose to use third party apps such as HTML viewer and Adobe Edge Inspect to view the source code of your website.
Table of Contents
What is Inspect Element?
Inspect Element is a web development tool that you can use to inspect and modify the HTML and CSS code of your web pages. It is primarily used by developers to debug and optimize their website, but anyone can use it to gain a deeper understanding of how their website works.
Inspect Element allows the user to view the source code of their web page, change its layout and content, and preview the changes in real time. It is a powerful tool that helps users identify and fix website problems and gain insight into the design and structure of web pages.
Can You Inspect Element on iPhone?
You cannot directly inspect element on iPhone like you would in your desktop browsers. You will need the help of your MacBook to inspect element on iPhone. However, if you do not possess a MacBook, then you can also take the help of third party apps to inspect the elements of the webpage you want.
How to Inspect Element on iPhone?
As we mentioned earlier, Inspect Element is a powerful tool that lets you inspect and modify elements. You may not be a developer or a computer student but regardless of your identity and knowledge, you can access this tool fairly easily. To inspect element on iPhone is a bit more difficult, however by following the steps listed down below you can easily do so.
There are mainly two ways you can inspect element on iPhone: –
- Using Mac (Safari Web Inspector)– You can inspect element on iPhone by using the Safari Web Inspector on your Mac after, you connect your iPhone to your MacBook.
- Using Third Party Apps & Tools– You can also take the help of suggested popular third party apps and tools to inspect elements on iPhone.
Using Mac (Safari Web Inspector)
In this method, you will need to turn on the web inspector option on your iPhone and then inspect the elements after you connect your iPhone to the Mac. The process is a lengthy one but as long as you follow the simple steps carefully, you should be done in absolutely no time.
(*Make sure that you have a USB or Type-c cable to connect your iPhone to your Mac.)
- Open the Settings App on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Safari‘.
- Press on ‘Advanced‘ after scrolling to the bottom.
- Toggle on the ‘Web Inspector‘ option.
- Open Safari on your Mac.
- Click on Safari from the menu in the upper left corner.
- Click on ‘Settings‘ from the options provided.
- Press on ‘Advanced‘.
- Turn on the ‘Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar‘ option.
- The Develop option will be visible on the menu at the top.
- Connect your iPhone to your mac.
- Click on ‘Develop‘ from the top menu.
- Press on your phone’s name.
- Click on ‘Connect via Network‘.
- Open Safari on your iPhone and open a webpage to inspect.
- Open Safari on your Mac whilst your iPhone is still unlocked.
- Click on ‘Develop‘ and hover over your iPhone’s name.
- Click on the website from the options. [IMAGE LEFT]
- A new window will open with all the info from the inspected webpage.
Using Third Party Apps
If you do not own a MacBook then, you can always opt to use third-party apps such as HTML Viewer Q or Adobe Edge Inspect. You can also choose to use some paid apps on Apple store which lets you view the source code directly from your iPhone. However, if you are unsure about spending money on such apps then you can use the apps mentioned below: –
HTML Viewer Q
- Open AppStore on your iPhone.
- Search and install ‘HTML Viewer Q‘ app.
- Open the app and tap on the Link icon at the top right.
- Type in the URL and press on ‘Search‘.
- Tap on the ‘Source Code‘ icon at the top left.
- You can now view the source code of the website.
Adobe Edge Inspect
Adobe Edge Inspect is a tool that lets users and developers inspect as well as debug websites on multiple devices. These devices include iPhone as well. To inspect elements on iPhone using Adobe Edge Inspect you can follow the steps present down below: –
- Download the software and make sure all the devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Open the website you want to inspect.
- Locate the debugger on your device.
- Place the debugger on the element you want to inspect.
Unfortunately, Adobe Edge Inspect was discontinued by Adobe and is no longer actively maintained.
Can I Get into Trouble if I Inspect Element on iPhone?
No, you will not get into trouble if you inspect element on iPhone. Inspect element is a feature that lets developers and users view and inspect the source code of the website. You can also make temporary changes to the code but the change will only appear on your device and not for the actual website. If you wanted to make changes to the actual website, then you would need access to the website’s backend.
So, you will not get into trouble for only inspecting a website on your iPhone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Inspect Element on iPhone to Edit a Website’s Code?
You can definitely modify the code of a website after you inspect it. However, the changes will only be seen on your screen. This will not affect the actual website for other users as well.
Is the Inspect Element on iPhone Similar to Desktop Browsers?
No, the inspect element on iPhone is not similar to the one present on desktop browsers. On iPhone your ability will be limited to viewing and reading the source code and not actually editing the code like most desktop browser inspect tools provide.
Inspecting elements on the iPhone is an important skill for anyone wanting to better understand how websites work. This process can be a little more difficult on an iPhone than on a desktop computer, but it’s certainly possible to inspect elements on an iPhone as well. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can use third-party apps and Safari’s built-in developer tools to inspect items on your iPhone.
Whether you’re a developer or just want a deeper understanding of how a website works, inspecting elements is an invaluable tool. By taking the time to learn how to use them effectively, you can understand the inner workings of the websites you visit and become a more knowledgeable Internet user.
That is it for this article. We hope that we were able to successfully assist you to inspect element on iPhone. If you have any questions or queries, then please feel free to leave them down below. We will try to get to them as soon as possible so, do not hesitate to ask us.
Related Article: How To Pause Location On Find My IPhone?